Sunday, February 17, 2013

Mindy.....


She was young and beautiful when I met her.  She had a couple of hits on the country music charts and was on a huge arena tour as the opening act for Country Superstar Tim McGraw.  She was dating "Superman", actor Dean Cain.  It appeared she had it all.  


But it was clear she was troubled, even back then.  I was her keyboard player/background singer for a short time back in 1997, right before her career and her life started taking a dark and downward spiral out of control.   I could tell many stories about the "crazy" Mindy.  But I won't.  Not today.  There are plenty of those going around tonight.

Right now, I'm remembering the young girl, thrust into the spotlight with no real solid family support to keep her grounded.  I'm remembering the young girl who was trying to raise her 2 young brothers while not really being a full-fledged adult herself.

Right now, I'm remembering the girl who had our bus driver pull into a Walmart in the middle of the night and went in by herself to buy a large assortment of cold medicine and a humidifier for the bunk area because our bass player was fighting a bad cold and she thought it might help him.   She truly had a nurturing side and wanted to care for those around her.  

I'm choosing to remember that girl tonight.  


I met my husband in Mindy's band. He was the guitar player and I got hired to play keyboards.  We always used to jokingly say we were thankful to "God and Mindy McCready" for bringing us together.   The last time I ran into her was at Ted's Montana Grill here in Nashville.  It was about 5 years ago.  She saw me from across the restaurant and ran over to hug my neck, still with the exuberance of a little girl.  She told me that she had someone in Los Angeles that wanted to record some tracks on her, and seemed hopeful for the future.   Then she asked me about Mike... "Are you guys still together?"  she asked me.  "Oh Yes", I said,  "We've been married 10 years now."   She looked down at the ground, then smiled looking me in the eye and said, "Well, at least I did something right back then."  

It wasn't long after that that I saw her on Dr. Drew's Celebrity Rehab.  I had a bad feeling from that point on.  Although I can't say I was surprised at the tragic ending to her life today, it really hit me hard.  Maybe partly because I just buried my dear Mother this week and her death is still too fresh.    But I'm truly saddened to hear that she lost her battle.  Her battle with addictions. Her battle with life.  

My favorite tweet tonight about Mindy's passing came from my friend Brent Hodge, who is the Crosspoint Community Church, Franklin Campus Pastor:  

 " This tragic news of Mindy McCready reminds us that every life is fragile and people need love. Show someone hope, every chance you get."

Hope.  Something Mindy tragically ran out of.  

Rest in Peace Mindy.... thinking of you tonight. 



13 comments:

  1. Thankyou! Such a beautiful memory at a time when people will be gossiping about the bad instead of focusing on the good. I to suffer from mental health issues and recovering from addictions. Thank God I have a wonderful family support system. God Bless Mindy and her children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, family support can make all the difference. I'm glad to know you have it! Good luck with your recovery.... :-)

      Delete
  2. So so sad. It goes to show you though, fame and fortune don't necessarily make you happy. I'm sorry she couldn't find real happiness in her life. Since she never found that inner peace while she was alive, we can only hope that she will rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a sweet note, it is sad that all the news is full of her bad side. Had no idea she was trying to raise her brothers and the other nice things you said. Nice to know something Nice.
    and I am sorry for the loss of your mother,,nothing like losing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your note.... losing Mom has been harder than I ever imagined it would be. But I know she's in a better place.... and peace will find me. :-)

      Delete
  4. Thank you Marcia - very classy remembrance - RIP MM

    ReplyDelete
  5. A nice tribute Marcia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful tribute. And a great reminder to sow seeds of Hope every chance we get. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob.. thank you for your sweet voice message the other. It made me smile to know you were praying for us that day on your drive! Hope to see you soon dear friend!!

      Delete
  7. Inspiring and sobering words, Marcia, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know her, but feel just awful today............there are alot of people hurting like Mindy, sometimes they can be in your own family. Mindy chased her dream and it came true, but it ended in a tragic nightmare. You and Mike are so fortunate that you were able to meet her and enjoy some happy times with her. My heart goes out to you for your losses so close together. Thanks for sharing....
    Love, Cousin Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautifully written, Marcia. Thanks for sharing. I've thought of you every with every story on the news about Mindy. Such a rough week for you. Prayers and love always.
    d

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane... it has definitely been a rough week. I guess God is truly trying to get the message to me right now that life is fleeting. I've never been more aware that we are only here on this earth temporarily. Love you... M

      Delete